Thursday, August 18, 2011

20 Christian Academics Speaking About God: Apologist Nonsense


I know this has been making the rounds lately and a lot of people have likely already watched it, but I haven’t seen a word of commentary and I need to say one or two things.

The first time I saw this pop up in the Internet ether, I honestly thought it was going to be an intelligent response to the 50 Renowned Academics & Scientists Talk About God video. I was hoping for something that was thought provoking.

Nope.

If you want to watch the various inconsistencies in theology then watch this video. I realize it is edited for emphasis, but it represents the wide range of apologist thought.


 

At one point  (22:40) RJ Berry, Professor of Genetics at UCL, actually dismisses the possibility that we are descended from Adam and Eve only to jump to "pure hypothesis" wondering if humans are “spiritually descended from God." Maybe...just maybe God’s image was "implanted and spread" throughout the species.

He quotes someone to make the point that "We were Homo Sapiens. We are now Homo Divinus; 'Divine Man.'"

He continues, "At some point God put his finger on that original population."

That was an actual hypothesis by an apologist.

Why is my nose bleeding?



.

5 comments:

Fester said...

That video was extremely painful to watch. The bizarre rationalizations and fantastic justifications for them offended my sensibilities and my intellect. OUCH!

Adam said...

"To know that there is nothing to know, and to grieve that it is so difficult to communicate this 'nothing to know' to others-
This is the life of Zen."

Anonymous said...

To be a Christian who also believes very much in science and admits there is much that I don't believe in or know, I'm so sick of atheists trying to ram their fucking ideas down my throat. They are worse than "born-again" Christians and evangelicals.
Why should anyone be an apologist? Why would I apologize for my beliefs? I'm not trying to ram them down your throats.
I don't give two shits what you are or what you believe. I only care in the context of THIS life on THIS planet, what is the depth of your humanity?
Man has the double conceit of being able to believe we will find all the answers with our science, or that we have already found them with our religions.
Contemplate the complexity of infinite Universes and time, and you'll realize how dumb you are on either side to argue points that you couldn't possibly fully understand.
So atheists, you have your opinions, and religionists, you and I have ours. Have the tolerance and innate security to just be happy with what you have, and shut the fuck up about anybody else.

Anonymous said...

Apologetics (from Greek ἀπολογία, "speaking in defense") is the discipline of defending a position (often religious) through the systematic use of reason.
From wiki.

No one is making you apologize for anything

Steve said...

Please see http://tiny.cc/av8d4 for my response.