Thursday, September 22, 2011

'Do we deserve to kill?'

‎"You can say they deserve to die, but the key moral question is 'Do we deserve to kill?'" -- Sr. Helen Prejean

I have no idea if Troy Davis was guilty or not. I simply find it objectionable and hypocritical that killing is punishable by killing. Further, the State should in no way have the power to execute people. For all those pissed at "liberal fucktards" opposed to the death penalty all I have to point out is that it is unconscionable to allow even one innocent person be executed by the State in some vengeance ceremony. Innocent people have been executed. It has happened and it has been proven that it has happened.

For all the Conservatives rattling their sabers about it I find that it sadly hilarious that in other much more benign cases the government is this great, monstrous evil; and yet you have no issue with the government given the power to actually kill someone! As if the system was perfect. It’s contradictory and it is hypocritical. Further, for those of you that call yourself Christians and favor the death penalty you are the highest of hypocrites.

And for the record; in Texas last night that White Supremacist piece of shit that killed James Byrd was executed. I am opposed to it in that case as well.



.

2 comments:

krissthesexyatheist said...

Mmm, buddy, UR a 'killer' as usual. Fo sho the government is not perfect and innocents have been executed (I'm against that also, there must be a better way). But...there is always a but, individually, if someone is gonna hurt/kill me or my loved ones...yea I'll use my martial arts or my gun (which would be impractical because I live in California and follow all the rules. sheez). Are ya saying that all killing is bad, or the flawed execution system...in this Christian nation is bad.

Kriss

btw I did get some satisfaction when the person dragger got executed

Steve said...

Kriss, buddy...

Personal, self-defense is a different ballgame. You have every right to protect yourself with an appropriate level of force.

My problem with the death penalty as part of the Justice System is that a) the state should not have the power to execute its citizens (or any human) since that could be abused. b) investigative and scientific techniques change and evolve. Evidence from 30 years ago may not stand up in court now and that logic holds to 30 years from now when our "state of the art" techniques are outdated and possibly wrong. The issue is that a life sentence is reversible. A death sentence is final.