Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What Darwin Never Knew (NOVA Documentary)

Recently I was involved in a Twitter “debate” about evolution. It really isn't worth reiterating, but two things struck me as constant false claims from creationists and those that are…shall we say…so “skeptical” it hurts (i.e. post-modernists). First, I don’t “worship” Darwin. I admire the man for formulating the basis of all modern biology. He did not have everything correct. How could he? The advancements since he published “On the Origin of Species” in 1859 are immense. Specifically, it was claimed that evolutionists adhere to something from the 19th century that implies Darwinian thought is outdated. Of course, this is coming from people that believe a mythological account of creation from millenia ago that has absolutely not one shred of corroborative evidence. None.

Second, I am in no way “dogmatic” about evolution and natural selection. It works. If and when it is shown to not work then I will evaluate this hypothetical new and extraordinary evidence and re-evaluate evolutionary thought. There is nothing dogmatic about this. The creationists and post-modernist “skeptics” that like to pretend otherwise are employing equivocations out of desperation and some false sense of superiority, respectively.

"You show me that it works and how it works and when I’ve recovered from the shock I will take a compass and carve 'Fancy That' on the side of my cock.” - Tim Minchin   




via EvolutionDocumentary 

1 comments:

Bill Paci said...

That was really good. I saw Tiktaalik when it appeared at the Academy of Natural Sciences in philly.