Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Selfish Piety



“I’m so blessed!”
                         
“I have God on my side!”

“The Lord works in mysterious ways!”

“I know it can be hard, but you always to believe that God never gives you more than you can handle!”

“God is so good to me!”

These are all exaltations of unthinking people. Do they really think that they are so special that in this vast universe their deity picks them to favor? Based on what? How hard they pray? How often they attend church? The amount of money they put in the offering tray?

Do they do not realize how utterly callous it is to make these statements? They can’t all be self-centered people, can they? These words and phrases diminish and demean the suffering of others. They ingrain the idea, consciously or unconsciously, that one individual is better than another via God’s favor.

0 comments: