Monday, August 27, 2012

Cursive "Rise Up! Rise Up!"





Dear preacher, thanks for making time for me today
Hope you don't mind if I hide behind the curtain
It's been fifteen years since my last confession
By your good book's standards, I've sinned like a champion
But that book seems a tad bit outdated

Please forgive me for questioning divinity
It's an ugly job, but I think I'm up for it, I'm not saying who's right
I'm just saying there's more than one way
To skin a religion, there's more than one way
To explain our existence

Reverend sir, I don't want to seem malevolent
My teenage angst is far behind me
But father, certainly it's troubling to see
All these people kneeling instead of dealing
With the fact that we are all we have

So, rise up, rise up
There's no one to worship but plenty of life to lose
I'm not saying "Let's burn down the church
But do you want to hear my confession?"
It's my greatest sin

Okay, here it is
I wasted half my life on the thought that I'd live forever
I wasn't raised to seize the day, but to work and worship
'Cause, "He that liveth and believeth, supposedly never dies"

Rise up, rise up
Live a full life
'Cause when it's over, it's done
So rise up, rise up
Dance and scream and love

You're not the chosen one
And I'm not the chosen one

3 comments:

@blamer said...

We ought to embrace the full phrase: Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero – "Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future", the future is unforeseen, scale back one's hopes to a brief future, and drink one's wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpe_diem

Steve said...

Fantastic, blamer!

Unknown said...

"Live fast. Die old." -Frank Turner