We've all been rather busy this week. Sorry for that! There will be a new podcast episode on Monday.
- Obama ends oath with 'So help me God' "The voice of god is government." -Bad Religion
- Steeple, cross at U.S. Army base on Afghan frontier raise hackles
- Woman, 29, sues UAE five-star hotel after she was raped... then JAILED for having sex outside of marriage How dare she!
- Saudis Demand McDonald's Be Punished For Happy Meal Toy That Insults Muhammed Muslims see Muhammed's name in things the way Christians see Jesus' "image" in toast. Wacky.
- In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses aren’t people Reheheally now?!
- Hasidic leader gets 103 years in child sex abuse case "Let's have a mikveh, shall we..."
- How the Vatican built a secret property empire using Mussolini’s millions
- Los Angeles Cardinal Hid Abuse, Files Show Not to be outdone by a Rabbi...
- Why I Raise My Children With God This is a horribly reasoned response to this.
- Germany: rape victim turned away by Catholic hospitals over pregnancy fears “This, to me, is like the Church of the Middle Ages.” It IS the Church of the Middle Ages.(Steve)
Politics and Society
- Reminder: Unlocking Cell Phones Becomes Illegal this Week Fucking asshat librarian shushing me all over again.
- The Distress of the Privileged
- Senator Asks For Proof Of Evolution, Discovers He Doesn't Actually Understand What It Is Dumpf breeds arrogance.
- Support the Darwin Day Resolution Do it.
- State of Georgia Sued After Banning 'Gay' License Plates
- Asteroid-Mining Project Aims for Deep-Space Colonies
- Former Anti-GMO Activist Says Science Changed His Mind
- Beyond Time Like, whoa.
- ‘Adventurous’ Woman Needed as Surrogate for Neanderthal Baby Just a few ethics concerns here.
- Shall I Encode Thee In DNA? Sonnets Stored On Double Helix
- Canine Conundrum: How Dog Became Man's Best Friend
- The Komodo Dragon is an All-Purpose Killing Machine
- The physics of fire, gasoline, and sheer unbridled idiocy
|From "Darth Vader and Son" by Jeffrey Brown|
- JJ Abrams To Direct Star Wars Episode VII They should have held out for Whedon.
- Ron Howard in talks to direct Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book A great book for your young heathens.
- Darwin Meets Chaucer Off-Broadway: Three Plays in Rep
- J.R.R. Tolkien Dies, Robert Howard Lives: Effects on the Fantasy Genre?