Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday Morning Quotes ~ Albert Camus


"Everyone would like to behave like a pagan, with everyone else behaving like a Christian."

"I do not believe in God and I am not an atheist."

"Can one be a saint if God does not exist? That is the only concrete problem I know of today."  The Plague

"Don't wait for the Last Judgment. It takes place every day."  The Fall - 1956

"He who despairs over an event is a coward, but he who holds hope for the human condition is a fool."

"If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life." The Myth of Sisyphus, 1942

"The certainty of a God giving meaning to life far surpasses in attractiveness the ability to behave badly with impunity."  The Myth of Sisyphus, 1942

"[...] since the order of world is regulated by death, perhaps is it better for God we do not believe in him and we fight with all our might against death, without raising our eyes heavenward where he keeps silent."  The Plague

“I shall not, as far as I am concerned, try to pass myself off as a Christian in your presence. I share with you the same revulsion from evil. But I do not share your hope, and I continue to struggle against this universe in which children suffer and die”.  

“In order to exist just once in the world, it is necessary never again to exist.”   The Rebel

“We get into the habit of living before acquiring the habit of thinking.”

“To begin to think is to begin to be undermined.”

“I do not want to found anything on the incomprehensible. I want to know whether I can live with what I know and with that alone.”

“Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable.”

“For the existentials, negation is their God. To be precise, that god is maintained only through the negation of human reason. But, like suicides, gods change with men.”

“I don't know whether this world has a meaning that transcends it. But I know that I do not know that meaning and that it is impossible for me just now to know it. What can a meaning outside my condition mean to me? I can understand only in human terms.”

“Beware of those who say: "I know this too well to be able to express it." For if they cannot do so, this is because they don't know it or because out of laziness they stopped at the outer crust.”

“As for Hitler, his professed religion unhesitatingly juxtaposed the God-Providence and Valhalla. Actually his god was an argument at a political meeting and a manner of reaching an impressive climax at the end of speeches.”

“There exists an obvious fact that seems utterly moral: namely, that a man is always prey to his truths. Once he has admitted them, he cannot free himself from them. One has to pay something. A man who has become conscious of the absurd is forever bound to it.”


Thanks to Atheist Quotes & Positive Atheism

0 comments: