Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday Morning Quotes: Mary Harris "Mother" Jones


“Sit down and read. Educate yourself for the coming conflicts.”

“I am not afraid of the pen, or the scaffold, or the sword. I will tell the truth wherever I please.”

“I believe that no man who holds a leader's position should ever accept favors from either side. He is then committed to show favors. A leader must stand alone.”

“If they want to hang me, let them. And on the scaffold I will shout Freedom for the working class!”

“Injustice boils in men's hearts as does steel in its cauldron, ready to pour forth, white hot, in the fullness of time.”

“Some day the workers will take possession of your city hall, and when we do, no child will be sacrificed on the altar of profit!”

“The miners lost because they had only the constitution. The other side had bayonets. In the end, bayonets always win.”

“Whatever your fight, don't be ladylike.”

“I asked a man in prison once how he happened to be there and he said he had stolen a pair of shoes. I told him if he had stolen a railroad he would be a United States Senator.”

“Often while sewing for the lords and barons who lived in magnificent houses on the Lake Shore Drive, I would look out of the plate glass windows and see the poor, shivering wretches, jobless and hungry, walking alongside the frozen lake front. The contrast of their condition with that of the tropical comfort of the people for whom I sewed was painful to me.”

“... there are no limits to which powers of privilege will not go to keep the workers in slavery.”

.

0 comments: