Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Link Dump 7/29/11



Obviously the subject of the past week was the horrific attacks in Oslo, Norway. First and foremost, we would like to extend our sincere and deepest condolences to the family, friends and fellow citizens of the victims. Sadly, many people around the planet can sympathize with your pain in one way or another. We are sorry for your loss.

As I am sitting here putting this FLD together—like I have dozens of times before—it dawns on me that there is really no good way for me to segue into the rest of the link dump so I am just going to jump in. Sorry if it is jarring.

Oslo Attacks & Religion: Wait For the Evidence: My first attempt at addressing the travesty. I was mad.

So What Is He, Christian Or Not: Full disclosure: Kriss has been giving us a lot of love lately and we are mentioned in this article. Honestly, the reason I wanted to post this was because it embodies the debate going on right now. Is he or isn’t he a Christian? It is not easy to sort through. To that end, Jack and I wrote our two cents in a kind of opposing viewpoints. They are immediately below.



Glenn Beck: Young Norway victims like 'Hitler Youth': If I too wanted to invoke Godwin's Law I could point out that Beck runs a "heritage-based education for youth" camp, but I wouldn't do that.

Humanist statement on terror attacks in Norway and World Humanist Congress on Peace to be held at site of Oslo bombing

Christian Terrorism and Islamophobia: Sam Harris’ take.

Pat Buchanan Praises Breivik’s Cultural Analysis: Of course he does. BTW, Pat Buchanan is just one of the reasons I refuse to watch MSNBC. Again, I put forth the proposition that the liberal media myth is exactly that...a myth.

OK...non-Oslo links below.


A ‘Modest Proposal’ For Dealing with Heretics: Just a reminder what many Christians want to do us. This one happens to be written by a preacher.

Author of ‘Anti-Christian’ DHS Report on Right-Wing Extremism is a Conservative, Anti-Choice Gun Owner: “Those leebruls er ulways tryin’ ta denuhgrate goood Chreestian folk!       Huh?   Tha arthur wuz a whut? Oh...”

Atheist group wants to stop World Trade Center cross: Adam sent this link to me and said “Silverman is such a cock. Even when he's right.”       Hehe...yeeaaah.

Grandparents were key to prehistoric man's survival: I read the article this link is based on in Scientific American and it was great. It made me think that so much of human culture is simply based on longevity and the multi-generational information and consistency that goes with it.

Mid-Week Rant: Jamie DeWolf: I thought this was fantastic. Such a powerful and damning performance.

Dear Angry Lunatic: A Response to Chris Hedges: a great piece by Sam Harris countering false claims against him by a hack “journalist.”

Morality 1: Good Without Gods

The Invisible Big Kahuna: Yeah you need to read this. It includes: Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Victor Stenger, Polly Toynbee, Richard Wisemen, Jerry Coyne, Michael Shermer, Daniel C. Dennet, and PZ Myers.

50 Renowned Academics & Scientists Talk About God

Huge voter suppression plot exposed in Wisconsin: This needs to be known.

Poorest place in the United States and Western Hemisphere: Pine Ridge Indian Reservation: This is criminal.

Christian Jihad? Why We Should Worry About Right-Wing Terror Attacks Like Norway's in the US: I’ve been saying this for awhile now...

Rick Warren is such an asshole. To some Christians credit, they find him just as objectionable as we do:The Purpose-Driven Lie

Here is a petition for MSNBC to fire Buchanan. It won’t make me watch that channel, but I signed it just to hopefully screw him.



0 comments: