Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday Morning Quotes: Abraham Lincoln


"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them. The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession."

“The only person who is a worse liar than a faith healer is his patient.”

“Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes his aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not that we be not judged.”

“It is an established maxim and moral that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false is guilty of falsehood, and the accidental truth of the assertion does not justify or excuse him.”

“When the Know-Nothings get control, it [the Declaration of Independence] will read: "All men are created equal except negroes, foreigners and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.”

“I am approached with the most opposite opinions and advice, and that by religious men, who are equally certain that they represent the Divine will. I hope it will not be irreverent for me to say that if it is probable that God would reveal His will to others, on a point so connected with my duty, it might be supposed that He would reveal it directly to me ... These are not, however, the days of miracles.... I must study the plain, physical facts of the case, ascertain what is possible, and learn what appears to be wise and right.”

"Mr. Lincoln's maxim and philosophy were: 'What is to be, will be, and no prayers of ours can arrest the decree.' He never joined any Church. He was a religious man always, I think, but was not a technical Christian."
-- Mary Todd Lincoln



Thanks to Positive Atheism for the quotes.


.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

FUCK YOU ATHEIST PIECE OF TRASH. YOU'RE A DISHONEST PRICK.

Steve said...

Thank you for the stimulating comment. I am unsure as to why you call me dishonest. These are Lincoln's words.

Jack said...

... dust jacket worthy endorsement right there.

Adam said...

Why does everybody choose the "Anonymous" name? Do they think we're going to hunt them down and force them to read Origin of the Species at gunpoint or something?

Steve said...

They are cowards, Adam.

Manna ם ֶחֶלּ ַה said...

I respectfully challenge your assertions with my own research using published quotes about his valued convictions regarding Christ. I wish you well, m friend, and respect your person and position.

http://isleofexile.blogspot.ca/2010/11/abraham-lincoln-ultimate-reconciliation.html

Unknown said...

Really great collection of abraham lincoln quotes, thank you so much for posting this quotes,
abraham lincoln quotes

Health is Wealth said...

Hi admin,
your post is very special for us. This Good morning quotes are very special for everyday life.I have collected many quotes from you, and I will come back soon. It's encourage to work everyday life. So thanks a lot for doing this job.